PRIDE Month is here! Throughout June, people around the world unite to honor and amplify the voices of the LGBTQ+ community. Pride Month is not merely a celebration; it holds deep historical significance. It traces its roots back to the Stonewall Riots of 1969 when members of the LGBTQ+ community stood up against police raids and fought for their rights at the Stonewall Inn in New York City. The bravery and resilience shown during those pivotal moments sparked a movement that paved the way for progress in the fight for LGBTQ+ rights.
In this blog, we reached out to our wonderful staff members, asking them to share their personal reflections on what Pride means to them. Read their responses below!
As we immerse ourselves in the festivities of Pride Month, let us remember that supporting the LGBTQ+ community is not limited to a single month. It is a commitment that should extend throughout the year, as we work collectively to create a world that is free from discrimination and celebrates the beautiful tapestry of human diversity.
Pride Events and Resources:
- Long Beach Lesbian and Gay Pride Festival & Parade: This annual event features a vibrant parade, live performances, community booths, and a festival celebrating the LGBTQ+ community. Visit the website for details on dates, schedules, and ticket information.
- The LGBTQ Center Long Beach: The Center in Long Beach hosts various events, support groups, and programs throughout the year. Check their website or social media for specific Pride Month events and activities.
- Drag Queen Bingo at Hamburger Mary’s: Hamburger Mary’s in Long Beach hosts entertaining Drag Queen Bingo nights. Enjoy a fun-filled evening of bingo, fabulous performances, and delicious food. Check their website for event details and reservations.
- AIDS/LifeCycle: AIDS/LifeCycle is an annual fundraising bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles that raises funds for HIV/AIDS services. While the event itself spans multiple days and locations, it passes through Long Beach. Visit the website for information on how to participate or support the cause.
- The Long Beach QFilm Festival: The QFilm Festival showcases queer cinema and features a diverse selection of films, documentaries, and shorts. Visit the website for the festival schedule and ticket information.